1. Hawaii became the United States’ 50th state in 1959
2. Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawai’i in 1961
-there has been much controversy surrounding the 44th presidents birth certificate, but he has always claimed to have been born here
-he did grow up for the majority of his teenage years
3. Hawaii is annexed by the United States in 1898
-a vote was conducted at this time, amongst the native Hawaiian people, on whether or not they wished for the islands to be annexed. 38k out of the 40k natives voted against this. This vital poll was essentially dismissed, and Hawaii was annexed.
4. “Hawai’i” is actually the name of the Big island and not the cluster of seven islands.
-James Cook took it upon himself to name the islands the Sandwich islands. Fortunately, this name did not stick.
-the name “Hawai’i was adapted to cover all of the islands, but was originally only given to the largest island.
5. Captain James Cook becomes the first European to set foot on the Islands
-he first arrived on the island of Kauai
-he is later killed in a battle that takes place in Hawai’i (the big island )